Rider Profile: Holly Penfold
Place of Birth: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Hometown: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Date of Birth: 7th November 1995
Main Discipline: Show jumping
Favourite Place: Whitsundays
Describe your average day: My average day starts at 3am when I get up for work, I am a stable hand at Toby Edmonds racing, I usually finish by 8.30 and straight home to work my own horses and then back to the stables for the arvo shift at 2pm, when I have the arvo off I will never miss the opportunity to nap and work the horses later in the day!
What do you do on your day off? Days off from horses are rare but when ever I have spare time I enjoy going out with my boyfriend whether it be dinner or movies we don't get a lot of time outside horses & work.
Your Horses: I have 3 horses in work -
- Gold King 18yo TB who I have campaigned since he came off the track at 9years old up to 1.35m tracks
- Just Dutch 8yo WB who I have been lucky enough to own since he was 4yo and ridden him since his first show, he started in his first Grand Prix in 2016 and was a very consistent young rider horse(1.30m) for me in my last year placing consistently. He is a very exciting young horse!
- Istana Star - 7yo TB, who we purchased as a yearling to race, I rode all his track work and strapped him race day and always believed he would make a jumper after racing! He completed a handful of shows in 2016 and is showing huge ability and absolutely loves his new job competing up to 90cm already.
- One Inch Punch - rising 8yo TB gelding. “Bruce” was trained by my boss Toby Edmonds and I always loved him and knew he had to come home with me when he was done, thankfully that came true! He will head off to his first shows late February and is already showing great talent
Just Dutch - Pepper is my sponsored horse as he is the most serious of all 3 and benefits the most from Karen's amazing treatment!
Best thing about your horses: I'd have to say the best thing about all my horses is they have all have huge hearts and absolutely love their jobs !!
2018 Horse Goals: My 2018 horse goals all differ individually -
- Gold King is winding down his long successful career, he only goes to a small selection of shows that suit him and he is just there to have fun and he usually still manages to bring him ribbons at every show. There is no goals left to tick off the list with him he has done well beyond anything I could ever ask of him.
- Just Dutch, I am extremely exciting about this year with “Pepper” I hope to be able to start him in some more Grand Prix classes & mainly focus on future star classes with him!
- Istana star - “Barry” is still very much baby steps for the time being, he is an extremely exciting young horse and sometimes tries a little bit too hard, we will work on perfecting as much as we can on the smaller tracks to build his confidence before slowly stepping him up.
Biggest Achievements to date: My biggest achievements to date would have to be how far “Goldy” and I came together, we did everything from the start, jumped our first show jumping & cross country courses went successfully to pre-novice eventing before injury stopped his eventing career. All the way from 20cm cross rails to 1.35m tracks, he has truly been my 1 in a million horse!